- Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the CSIRO
- Chief Scientist for the Australian Government
- Chairman of the Australian Science and Technology Council
- A foundation member of the Prime Minister's Science, Engineering and Innovation Council
- Member of the Australian Research Council
- Chairman Grape and Wine Research and Development Corporation
- Chairman Australian Wine Research Institute.
- Company Director five public companies in Australia and UK
In 2003 John was awarded the Centenary Medal and in 1999 he was appointed an Officer in the Order of Australia. Prior to receiving these awards John had been named Australian of the Year by The Australian newspaper in 1992.
John is a passionate member of the wine industry and accepted a position on the WV Board for a number of reasons. John sees an opportunity to give back to the industry and to use his extensive experience to help guide the State's peak wine body in its relationship with government and the relevant national bodies.
John believes profitability will continue to be the issue of greatest concern for the industry. He thinks it's imperative that the industry acts so that government continues to see the wine industry as an important part of Australia's economic and cultural future.
John and his wife Jo, along with their daughter Nina and son-in-law John run The Brave Goose Vineyard in Central Victoria. John's favourite wines are Barolo and Barbaresco, though he regrets that the nebiolo variety does not ripen well in his vineyard. He and his family are concentrating on making fine wines from Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz, Merlot, Malbec, and Viognier grapes from the weathered ironstone hills of their vineyard.